download (3)In Oneglia and in Porto Maurizio there are two grandiose buildings.

PARISH CHURCH SAN GIOVANNI BATTISTA

This church, built in the middle of the 18th century, was a demonstration of the great political and economic success of Oneglia. The construction allowed for the medieval structure of the ancient parish church and the pilgrims hospital, to be combined into one building. Even the area in front of the church was renovated, in order to create a larger space for social encounters. The site was on the edge of the road leading from the sea towards Piedmont. Built in 1742, it replaced the 14th century church which had been modified at the beginning of the 17th century. The design is attributed to the architect Gaetano Amoretti, from Oneglia. The Franco-Spanish war suspended building and the construction of the church lasted several years. It was consecrated in 1762, however the facade remained incomplete until 1838 when the stucco decors, attributed to Andrea Adami, were added. The vast impressive interior made up of three naves and a transept. The crossing has a dome topped with a polygonal lantern. The rhythm and movement is produced by the semicircular arches resting on pilasters. The chancel has a flat chevet and two side shorter side chapels. On each side aisle there are radiating chapels, one of which has a tabernacle dating from 1516, originating from the Gaggini workshop.

CHURCH AND LOGGIA SANTA CHIARA

The Convent Santa Chiara in Porto Maurizio spectacularly stands out from the entire medieval quarter of the “Rocche”. A sea facing gallery, dating from the 18th century, offers a superb panorama. On arriving from the west side, this feature characterizes the view of the Imperia Porto Maurizio village. Nuns have occupied the site since the 14th century but it was only in the 15th century that the convent entered into the Franciscan order.

The convent was built on the outskirts of the main habitation, an area which was chosen for its isolated inaccessible setting. The Santa Chiara convent, one of the most important of the region, is linked to the ancient high wall by a gallery of arcades of which the only remnants are the dungeon. It is one of the most impressive works of Baroque Liguria. The project was designed in 1712 by Gregorio De Ferrari (1647-1726) and completed by Giacomo Filippo Marvaldi (1673-1747). The access to the building is by the Via Santa Chiara road, behind the loggias. The church was modified during the second half of the 18th century, as can be seen by the gracious curved windows and the small triangular campanile. In the nave there are several Baroque paintings: San Domenico Soriano, by Domenico Fiasella (1589- 1669), The clothing of Saint Chiara, the altar of The Virgin and Child, and Saint Catherine by Sebastiano Conca (1680-1764).

 

Comments are closed.